Initiated in the fall 2008 by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Shop Brooklyn is a borough-wide "shop local" campaign for local residents and visitors, highlighting the service and individuality of Brooklyn's neighborhoods and shopping corridors. It serves to unite Brooklyn's vibrant "Main Streets" under one cohesive banner to promote shopping in Brooklyn and "Brooklyn Bonus" offers.
Top 10 Reasons to Support Locally Owned Businesses
(adapted from www.newrules.org)
- BROOKLYN IS UNIQUE! (Local Character and Prosperity) In an increasingly homogenized world, communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an economic advantage.
- BROOKLYNITES LOOK AFTER BROOKLYNITES! (Community Well-Being) Locally owned businesses build strong communities by sustaining vibrant town centers, linking neighbors in a web of economic and social relationships, and contributing to local causes.
- BROOKLYN RETAILERS LIVE HERE, TOO! (Local Decision-Making) Local ownership ensures that important decisions are made locally by people who live in the community and will feel the impacts of those decisions.
- LOCAL RETAILERS SPEND THEIR $$$ IN BROOKLYN! (Keeping Dollars in the Local Economy) Locally owned businesses recycle a large share of their revenue back into the local economy, enriching the whole community.
- BROOKLYN RETAILERS HIRE BROOKLYNITES! (Job and Wages) Locally owned businesses create jobs locally and provide good wages.
- THAT GO-GET-’EM "BROOKLYN ATTITUDE"! (Entrepreneurship) Entrepreneurship fuels America’s economic innovation and prosperity, and serves as a key means for families to move out of low-wage jobs and into the middle class.
- OPEN STORES KEEP STREETS SAFE! (Public Safety) Open stores mean more lights on and foot traffic on major corridors. More eyes on the street mean more safe havens and less crime.
- A GREENER BROOKLYN! (Public Benefits and Costs) Local stores require little infrastructure and make efficient use of public services. Local stores help sustain walkable town centers—which in turn are essential to reducing sprawl, automobile use, habitat loss and air and water pollution.
- BROOKLYN'S "MOM AND POPS" ARE CREATIVE! (Competition) A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices.
- BROOKLYN SHOPS HAVE WHAT YOU WANT (Product Diversity) A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
This inter-borough tourism and Shop Local campaign supports independent retailers and reinforces community pride in Brooklyn while building a broader awareness of Brooklyn's unique shopping. Shop Brooklyn re-introduces Brooklyn to Brooklynites, reawakening that "Brooklyn Pride," and invites visitors to experience this one-of-a-kind cultural and shopping destination year-round. Strategic partnerships with Business Improvement Districts, Merchant Associations, and Local Economic Development Organizations, enable the Shop Brooklyn program to showcase these independent businesses with added-value marketing efforts and educational outreach.
Let us know if you want to join our efforts! Contact us at ShopBrooklyn@brooklynchamber.com
It’s holiday time–and that means it’s time to Shop Brooklyn!
No matter who you’re shopping for or what you’re looking for: unique gifts, personal service, convenience or even an eye toward sustainable shopping, take it from us, Brooklyn retailers have it all wrapped up! Not only do they know their customers, but they offer a huge array of products at competitive prices. And while shopping Brooklyn is a win/win all year long, the annual Shop Brooklyn™ campaign reminds Brooklynites of even more reasons to shop local.
With dozens and dozens of shopping corridors full of hip and diverse boutiques, clothing shops, bookstores, pharmacies, restaurants, galleries, specialty food emporia and gift stores galore, Brooklyn’s retail variety gives new meaning to the phrase “One Stop Shop.” Locally owned businesses build strong communities by sustaining vibrant cultural centers, linking neighbors in a web of economic and social relationships, and contributing to local causes.
And this holiday season, as we think of our family and friends, we also hope that you keep all of those who were affected by Hurricane Sandy in your hearts. In the aftermath of this terrible storm, many Brooklynites have lost their homes and businesses. Other still have houses or apartments that are in various states of disrepair and have a long road to recovery ahead. So as you look for that perfect gift for that special someone, also consider giving back to those who need it most by making a contribution to the Brooklyn Recovery Fund at brooklynrecoveryfund.org.
Shopping Brooklyn’s small businesses, especially in the Sandy affected neighborhoods, will only strengthen our recovery and keep more of our residents employed. That’s why this year our motto for Shop Brooklyn is shop for the season and shop for a reason! For more reasons to Shop Brooklyn, visit goshopbrooklyn.com. Let the Brooklyn shopping spree begin!
Remember, for holiday gifts and more, Brooklyn’s got the goods!
Brooklyn Borough President
CEO and President, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce